Monday, March 26, 2007

No More Stripes, Please!

I've had it with striped socks! And my stash is full of sock yarns of the striped nature. I'm looking for some tweeds, some subtle lines, but no pooling, and please, no wide stripes. Wide stripes are really a trial in a 100 gram ball, skein or hank of yarn if you're trying to make matching socks. I'm also tired of the whole fake fair isle look. I want some handpaints that are just random blends of color. I spent a whole day making a pair of socks only to be forced to make them fraternal twins. In order to make them identical, I would have to bypass many yards of yarn to reach the correct repeat in the striping pattern. I hate when that happens! There wouldn't be enough yarn left to complete the second sock. This is where a picture of the two socks should be inserted to show what I mean. However, I have an electric cone winder and before I thought to take a picture or talked myself out of it, I frogged and rewound the two socks--this time onto two separate cones ending them both in the same place in the striping pattern. I will be limited as to the size socks I can make, but at least they will match.

Many people do not bother with matching. In fact they prefer to wear socks that don't match. They knit the yarn as it comes off the ball without regard to matching the mate and they love them. I say "More power to them!" Although I've made little gift cards explaining fraternal twin and identical twin socks, I'm not comfortable with them. I just can't do it. They make me think 'seconds' or 'discount' or 'mistake.' Now, don't misunderstand me. I like making a statement. A pair of socks of two patterns in the same colorway or the same colors used in different places so that they looked like planned differences are fine. I can do those. I can wear those. I can share those. It's the OCD in me that just cannot tolerate those pairs of socks that are slightly off because no attempt was made at matching. I'm sorry, but that's just me.

So today it will be a do-over for the rewound wide stripes. The two socks will match. They will be identical. I will be happy.

The Sock Lady

No comments: